Translate

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Paddling with the turtles


Friday it didn't look good wind wise for the weekend with winds between 20 - 25 knots gusting to 30.  I mailed around to gauge interest in a short paddle close by.  Brian. Dean, Derek and Neville were interested.


Once that was established I saw some mail going around started by Dean who asked if Brian and Neville were bringing their P & H Hammers.  They were.  Here Dean leads the small boat fleet in his Jackson Karma RG.


So it was just Derek and I in our long, faster boats.  The forecasters were wrong with the wind prediction and things were looking good.


The theme for the day was rock hopping.  It was near low tide so it was ideal for that but ...


 ... it also meant there were times when you're left high and dry.  No problem in a plastic kayak but unnerving in a fibreglass.  The trick I found was not to look panicked but to look casual and wait for a little swell for freedom.


I was undeterred.  I watched to see how the guys made out with the water to see if they touched and if not I followed if there was enough room to turn or a straight path through.


We made our way slowly down the shore, Derek and I occasionally waiting for the guys in short boats as they dallied in the rocks.  It was a bit like the tortoise and the hare but it delivered exactly what I wanted - a relaxed paddle and a paddle when I thought one would not develop.

2 comments:

  1. Ninja Turtles! :)
    Wish I could have been there!
    Thanks for the blog Tony!
    Cathy :)
    Cathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Cathy, it was unusual paddling without you. Stuff sometimes gets in the way but there is always next week.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete