Translate

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

GoPro extendable pole


In between weekends when we paddle these days I'm toying with GoPro mounts.  This post is to describe my extendable pole.

Above left to right are: 1) end cap for 3/4 inch PVC pipe drilled and tapped out for good measure to accept a 1/4 - 20 x 1/2 inch stainless steel bolt; 2) the 1/2 inch bolt is too long so I used a hole saw to cut a plastic washer to insert inside the cap.  It was too big coming out of the hole saw so I secured it to a bolt that I inserted into my drill press, turned on and sanded down to the correct size; 3) the 1/4 - 20 x 1/2 in bolt the camera mount screws into; 4) a rubber washer that sits on top of the cap.  The rubber is to provide a "softer" surface for the mount.


A 29 inch window wash squeege extendable pole with squeege removed.  Cutting off the threads left just the right size for ...


... epoxying on a 3/4 90 degree elbow.


The pole with the end cap and quick release camera mount.  When you buy the camera mount you get ...


... two mounts.  I used the quick release so that I can point the cmera away to shoot video or have it point towards me to video myself.


And, here is the finished product.  Its 29 inches long but extends out to 47.  The pole itself was $11.99, the elbow, cap and bolt about $2.00 for like $14.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment