Translate

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Top paddles of 2013 - #6


On July 6th I did a paddle from Flatrock to Pouch Cove with Californian Marc.  Marc came up from California to do some paddling at various locations in Newfoundland.  To do so, he bought my Necky Loosha IV and off he went.  Almost four weeks later he was back in my area so we did a paddle together.

Here are some pictures from the paddle I didn't post before and here is a link to the original post.


We met in Pouch Cove and we put his, now, Looksha on my car and drove to Flatrock.  We crossed the harbour from the put-in where we checked out this thrust fault.  The movement was an overthrust of older grey Conception Group rocks on top of the younger reddish Cabot Group sandstones which are slightly upturned seen just in front of our bows.


At Red Head we passed along by the red sandstones in the foreground which are faulted against the grey siltstones in the background.



The water along this exposed coast is seldom calm enough to explore either close to shore or get into the several caves carved by the sea.  This cave, just past Stiles Cove, is accessed through a narrow entry and opens up inside with room to spare.


Imposing cliffs.


We reached Pouch Cove, put both kayaks on Marc's rental and drove back to Flatrock.  Marc went on
to do some more exploring before staying with us before heading home, thoroughly pleased with his Newfoundland paddling experience.

The thing for me on this paddle was first of all paddling with someone else paddling my first kayak and secondly, that he had come all the way from California to paddle here.  The Looksha is no longer mine so this last paddle with her is my reason for putting it on my list of top paddles for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment