Translate

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Nikon Coolpix S31 camera review

Preamble:

Recently my Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 camera has been giving me attitude.  A couple of weeks ago when I turned it on, at home, in the dry, I got a "No Connection" message.  After some cajoling I got it to work but the next time I wanted to use it on the water it decided to not work again, though no water had gotten into the camera.

Looks like a software issue and I may need to send it out for repairs.  That could take 2 - 3 weeks I'm told but I know it will likely be longer.

So, unable to live without a camera on the water, I bought a Nikon Coolpix S31 camera to use if I eventually send the Olympus for repairs.  I used it for the first time on Saturday in Tors Cove.


The first thing I noticed was how quick the camera was ready to take a picture.  In comparison to the Olympus, it was like night and day.  In fact, I'd say it was instantaneous whereas the Olympus is very s-l-o-w getting ready for picture taking.

The camera is not as robust as my Olympus as the casing is hard plastic.  It is waterproof to 5.0 meters which is more than enough for my needs as the tether is no more than a meter.  It is shock proof to 1.2 meters which again is adequate for my needs.

I bought it because the $105.00 + tax price tag was reasonable given my reason for purchase.


But there is one issue.  The lens sits behind a waterproof "housing" that doesn't seem to shed water drops very well so I ended up with a number of pictures like the above.  I haven't had that problem much with the Olympus.

Next time I'll take a cloth to clean the cover as needed.  That is a bit inconvenient but is an acceptable tradeoff on the price for me.

Putting the cart before the horse, I checked reviews on the web after I purchased it.  I would agree with most of them.  There aren't a lot of features but it makes the camera easy to set up and get using it.  Fine, its a basic camera.

The most interesting part of the reviews I read was the camera is targeted at kids.  I'm good with that too because I am, after all, still a kid at heart.

Though I bought the camera as a fill-in for my Olympus, I would not hesitate to use the camera full time on my kayak adventures.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a Swedish kayaker and love your blog. I was on Newfoundland when working on ships in late 70's (Baie Verde, Corner Brook and St. Johns) and this brings back some found memories.

    Do you have any suggestions about the best way to be on an extended tour or expedition in Newfoundland? I have 10-years experience as a kayaker and been on a NOLS seakayaking course in Alaska.
    I will keep on reading your blog with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonas, I glad you enjoy.

    Depends what you mean by extended tour. Ken Campbell wrote a book of his circumnavigation which you should be able to get at Amazon.ca called: "Around the Rock; A Newfoundland Sea Kayak Journey."

    There are numerous trip reports on the Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador website that you can use as a resource: www.kayakers.nf.ca if you want to pick various locations.

    Anything else I can do to help, just post a comment.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete