Translate

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My first lead


Saturday night's moonlight paddle was a Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador club paddle.  It was the first club paddle I have led.  It was an interesting experience.

In one sense I felt awkward because there were two more vastly experienced paddlers in the group; I wondered if I'd run the paddle appropriately under their scrutiny.  On the other hand, I knew I had excellent back up.

The trip was successful as there were no incidents and everyone got back safely. Nevertheless, I did some self assessment and decided I could have done things differently or better.  For example, I should have delegated collection of waivers and identified sweeps beforehand rather than decide on the water.

Overall, it was a good experience and if the club would let me lead another next year I'll come up with another interesting paddle destination.  I have benefited from attending club paddles when I was a newbie so I see it as my turn to give back.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Mia. Some people who have led paddles for years are not doing it anymore so we need to get others involved.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete