Translate

Thursday, April 12, 2012

When is too close, too close?

Jagged bergs

Saturday we were out to check out some icebergs that had drifted in close to Quidi Vidi. I posted some shots as did some of the other guys. I was expecting considerable criticism for paddling too close to the bergs. They can, after all, capsize or break apart unexpectedly and when that happens it can be dangerous to be too close.

I suppose its a calculated (or brazen) risk.

We avoided these jagged bergs. They looked like anything could happen at any moment.

Up close

This big tabular berg did not appear to present any imminent danger of rolling because of its low center of gravity and its flat broad presence.

Monster berg

And, similarly this one looked to be stable enough.

Earlier, Gerard paddled between the towers of one berg. I sized it up and felt there was too much risk for things to go wrong so I resisted the urge. That was my decision, as it is for every individual to decide what is safe and what is not safe.

In the end its a personal decision where we paddle whether its near icebergs or in wave washed rock gardens. Published pictures should not be seen as an invitation for a novice or any other paddler to engage in safe or unsafe practices.

Safest is to stay home and sit in the rocking chair but that's not much fun. I'll leave that for a time when that's my only option.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad there wasn't much flack given for the pictures posted. We are all adults who decide what risks we want to take. I remember a few years ago when my iceberg photo (the one in my header) won photo of the month on the KNL website. What a BLAST I got for that. So much they put a disclaimer on the KNL website. Funny, there were no disclaimers put on other iceberg photos on the site :-) I had the same photo pubished in a kayak magazine and the publisher had no quams at all about it.

    Anyways, I think the photos you guys took are awesome and I'm super jealous! I hope I can get out myself soon.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like water off a ducks back Brian, like water off a ducks back. Can't get too worked up with the criticism of other people.

    Looking forward to more kayak posts from you as well.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete