Translate

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My Olympus Tough 6020 leaks (Update)

Keeping it dry

My Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 recently had a minor leak and I was looking for rubber seal replacements. Here's the story from an earlier entry. This is an update as I heard back about my inquiry.

The reply got was:

"We do not sell replacement parts for our shockproof/weatherproof camera because the parts must be replaced by a qualified Olympus repair technician to guarantee the integrity of the watertight seals."

So I mailed back to say it wasn't rocket science. The screws and plastic plate automatically make sure the alignment is right. I indicated I would take full responsibility for any leaks if they sold me the seal for me to install myself.

I got the following follow-up reply:

"You can contact the Parts Department at cpg.parts@olympus.com but you will be denied the parts for shockproof/waterproof cameras. Repairs are guaranteed for six months."

I expect all the manufacturers of waterproof camera have the same policy. Maybe its collusion?

I wondered if anyone else had the same problem. Yes! One review listed a "Pro" for the camera was: "Doesn't leak when not underwater." That's funny. I think I'll not take the camera when I plan to practice rolls or rescues.

One thing I would advise and something in hindsight I should have done was to store the camera with the battery compartment open. That may extend the life of the seal.

In any case, I'm doubtful of ever buying another Olympus camera again. There are better options on the market.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry and I'm laughing for your olimpic adventure :-) and yes there're plenty of better options

    cya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad someone is having a good laugh Gio, no offense taken! When I first got the camera as a replacement I was disappointed, mainly because it was slower than the 850SW that it replaced. I'm going to cut my own gasket that will sit on the face where the battery and card fit into so that when I close the door up the seal on the door part will sit snugly and hopefully keep water out. I'm just trying to extend the life of this camera until the technology is improved in next generation devices.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm disappointed that I don't have wacky fun adventures like Kayaking yet, I had my Olympus less than 2 years and already had a leak problem...

    I am hoping for a replacement for my Olympus so I can save up for another underwater camera.

    I did get quite a bit of time in with my camera though with 2 beaches and a few pools.

    -Krista

    ReplyDelete