Translate

Friday, November 25, 2011

My Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 leaks

Taking pictures

This is a tale of covert deception and crappy service.

I used to have an Olympus Stylus 850SW that sprung a leak after 2 years. I had an extended warranty and got an Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 as compensation under the warranty. That was just under 14 months ago.

Last weekend after doing a bunch of rolls I noticed there were drops of water on the battery inside the watertight compartment. The camera still works but it was a warning sign that the rubber seal should soon be replaced. I had previously tried to buy new seals from Olympus Canada in anticipation this would happen but they replied I should send the camera to them to have the seal replaced. After the weekend I tried again and asked why they wouldn't sell me the seal because I could install it myself.

I still haven't received an answer and I don't expect to.

You see, what's going on here is that they know the seals only last a certain period. They get you in either of two ways. One, they ding you for a service you can take care of yourself or two, they expect you to buy a new camera after the camera fails. These cameras turns out are semi-disposable. Disposable every two years or so.

Its disappointing that I can't buy the seal. Its short sighted I believe on the part of Olympus. In fact, I believe each camera should come with one or two spare seals.

Things will stay the same unless the consumer puts pressure on these manufacturers to supply decent service after the purchase. This is my contribution.

5 comments:

  1. Indeed. I can highly recommend the Lumix brand. I kill electronics; and the lumix has lasted. kayaking is rough on any electronics. ive destroyed 2 GPS this year and went through 3 "waterproof" cameras that are more designed for that one family vacation then die. I too will be writing up a what worked well and didnt of 2011 later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar story here too. I am on my second Olympus - like you I have the 'tough' as the replacement. I didn't realise it was the rubber seal that needed replacing. I wondered if it was corrosion compromising the seal. I try to rinse and keep the camera clean and leave it open to dry - just in case. I think this one has lasted slightly longer because of this attention, but don't expect it will last that much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lee: Santa is getting me the Lumix DMC TS3 for Christmas!

    In the meantime, I think the average life of a digital camera is equal to the amount of time before people want to upgrade. We are lead to believe that we need the "next best thing", so we continually keep upgrading!

    I'm kinda glad my Olympus Tough 6000 died a few weeks back becuase it was the slowest camera on the planet. It, too, died because of leakage!!

    In the meantime, I still have my Canon DSLR that I bought back in 2003 and it's still kicking strong and has many more features than I will ever need. Not a practical camera for the boat, though!!

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best camera ever sean. I bought mine when it was still retarded expensive as my canon d-10 died 3 days into my journeys. You'll be very happy with the lumix.tough as nails. I got a brand new nikon d3100....but that stays in a drybag in the hatch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an update. Can't provide a link so you'll have to cut and paste into your browser.

    http://mynewfoundlandkayakexperience.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-olympus-tough-6020-leaks-update.html

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete