Translate

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mermaids and sirens

A beauty

Today Dennis, Gerard, Neville and I paddled with mermaids and sirens. We put in at Bay Bulls and it wasn't long before we sighted our first mermaid. I knew it was a good omen for an exceptional day.

New boat

Neville had his first day paddle in his new shiny yellow boat. I thought back to two years ago when I took delivery of my new Nordkapp. I shuttered the first time I scraped over a rock. Neville was just as protective but don't worry Neville, after a few scrapes it won't bother you as much.

Hidden treasure

Would you believe there's a cave in this shot?

I believe if a person starts off dumb enough they'll learn something new everyday. I found that out today first hand. I'd paddled Bay Bulls at least a dozen times and thought this crack in the rocks was just a crack. I was in fact the entrance to a large cave. The slot was barely wide enough to get a kayak through but inside it opened up with enough room for four.

Gerard knew about this cave as he worked in Bay Bulls as a kayak guide. Thanks for the tip Gerard.

Roomy cave

I thought I could hear a siren calling me into the cave as I backed in. No room to put a paddle in the water, just pushing off he sides to ease the kayak through.

All four of us backed into the cave because with four of us inside, turning wouldn't be possible. Looking to the outside the narrow entrance is evident.

Inside lookin' out

But not all the caves were as tricky to get into. This one had a towering ceiling. Neville at the entrance came and went as the swell rolled into the cave.

Taking a blast

A cave in the making. There was a shallow hole in the cliff that blew back the incoming swell. Only several tens of thousands of years and countless waves before future paddlers will be able to enter a cave here.

Shower time

We've had a bit of rain lately sp there were a few waterfalls draining water off the land. Not quite Angel Falls but refreshing anyway for Gerard.

Baboul Rocks

A sizeable swell was running outside of Bay Bulls Harbour as we passed South Head and made our way to Witless Bay through the Baboul Rocks.

Beating around

Rounding the headland into Witless Bay the swell and clapotis made for interesting, but manageable paddling. A couple of kilometers away a lunch beach awaited in Witless Bay. We had lunch and returned directly to Bay Bulls without stopping much. A most enjoyable day and a little bit wiser about a common paddle destination. Thanks guys.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice day on the water.

    corrigendum: Neville's first day trip in the new boat was last Monday (Thanksgiving)when four of us paddled out of Colliers.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expected a shot w/ you and the mermaid ;).
    nice dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, I stand corrected. I wasn't around last weekend.

    Gio, I would have liked to get my picture taken with the mermaid. I'll have to remember that for next time maybe even Daryl Hannah who play a mermaid in the movie "Splash". OK, that's dreaming.

    ReplyDelete