Translate

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

At a safe distance

Too close?

Getting up close and personal with icebergs is not an issue for most kayakers. Here in Newfoundland, in iceberg alley, we probably see more icebergs than anywhere else in the world. We often paddle near them because they are an awesome sight.

Icebergs pose dangers. They can break up and cause waves or even roll over onto unwary kayakers. Some icebergs have ice shelves that extend out underwater from the above water part that can break off and come up under the kayak.

Some people preach safety and warn paddlers not to get too close. They have a point but ...

Better?

... how close is close enough? Its a personal decision I think. Kayaking is a risky activity at the best of times. Anyone paddling close to icebergs should weigh the risks of mishap themselves based on iceberg size and structure.

A tabular berg is less likely to roll. A blocky berg is less likely to break apart unexpectedly. An irregular shaped berg poses the most danger for both roll over and breakup.

In any case, I don't linger close by too long to minimize the risk yet still get an exciting experience. Just because I do doesn't mean anyone else should do the same. Its your decision.

3 comments:

  1. I am always weary of people who preach. Everything is a personal choice on the water; and you and only you have to live with the consequences. I've done some things on the water some people would call "unsafe"...yet I've also drove my car across St.Johns..which to me is more dangerous than Kandahar somedays! Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind a bit of preaching from time to time. I accept it as a sign of concern but I mull it over and decide whether its something that I need to take to heart. Some things are unsafe for one group but not necessarily for everyone. You are right it comes down to personal choice. Just because I decide to get up close doesn't mean I advocate it, everyone must decide for themselves what risks they take on.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just Amazing!! I would really have liked to paddle there.

    Thansk for sharing:))

    ReplyDelete