Translate

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Return from Pinchgut

After the rain

Saturday night it poured rain for about four hours. Some water got into my tent but on top of my air mattress, I was dry. At 5:30 I was awake, the rain stopped and I carried some gear down to the boat. Dean and Dennis didn't stir so I lay down for another snooze until I heard zippers opening. After breakfast we loaded up and paddled south before turning west towards John's Pond.

Mirror

The shoreline from John's Pond north back to Colinet is not very interesting so I found myself looking underwater for interest. Above water the sea was calm and reflected the grey sky above. Underwater, the surface acted as a mirror reflecting the image of seaweed below.

Lurking below

Gigantic seaweed lurked below the surface as Dean and Dennis floated above in this shot of two worlds captured in one shot.

Ripple

The only thing to disturb the mirror smooth sea surface was my paddle.

Rub-a-dub

The Rocky and Colinet Rivers run into the harbour at Colinet. We paddled about a kilometer up the Rocky River to the falls and the old bridge. We did a few rolls in the frothy fresh water and some rescue practice with fully loaded boats.

Rocky River

Satisfied with our stop at the falls, we paddled back down river and took out at Colinet. It was only one night out and the scenery wasn't spectacular with the low laying country all around but this time it wasn't so much about the paddling. This was, for me, a chance to get away. We had a great time, more than a few laughs and I felt ready to return to civilization. Thanks Dean and Dennis.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Stan. The low country in St. Mary's Bay is a challenge to get dramatic pictures so I tried a few different things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Either wya its always interesting.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete