Translate

Thursday, August 25, 2011

On second thought

Aerated water

I've read in a number of places, in books and on the web, that good roll practice is to deliberately miss a first roll in order to set up for a second. Dean and I discussed it this evening and we both agree its not a good idea. And, here's why.

Roll practice should be directed at developing muscle memory associated with a reliable roll. Purposely attempting to "fail" a roll is only confusing to this purpose.

An exercise that I like to do towards a second roll attempt is to purposely slice the paddle directly down, point to the bottom and then bring it back to a set-up position for rolling. No attempt is made to roll right from the outset. The only purpose is to get the paddle deep under water forcing me to get it back to the surface to set-up.

Best not to develop muscle memory for something that doesn't work, especially when you don't need conflicting messages coming from the brain in a need to roll situation.

4 comments:

  1. I read your earlier post...! Congratulations :) with your first roll 'in the wild'. I was only reading and had the tendency to pull the spray skirt... I still have 'some' work to do to get where you are now! It is interesting and encouraging for me to follow your progress.
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrien, it is a bit of a long journey and lots of practice. Its been a series of steps - pool, flat water, waves and surf zone. I plan more rolling practice in the surf zone until I feel comfortable there. If other paddlers can do this then I can too and so can you. Keep at it and good luck with it.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But it can't be all muscle memory. While the inital tendency to roll back up may be initiated my muscle memory what if that attempt fails? Then you need to assess the situation, i.e., try again (maybe on the other side) or bail out. This becomes a decision process.

    Also, by not "flubbing" a roll in practice, the only way you can learn is in the "real" situation - and these incidents do not arise enough to warrant good practice.

    What I like to do in practice is start a roll and, while under the boat, switch hand position to come up the other way. This practices the motion of switching hands and ability to remain calm whilst under water. Similarly to go from a sculling brace right into a roll (forces hand position shift) and come back up the other side.

    I'm not entirely sure that if you flub rolls on purpose that you will screw up your muscle memory. I think rolling is more a cerebral exercise - especially if you've blown the first roll for some reason.

    As always, I stand to be corrected, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Switching hand positions underwater is good practice as is moving the paddle underwater from one side to the other. Also, practicing moving the paddle from one side to the other over the upturned hull.

    For me the key thing to practice is learning to keep your wits about you underwater and I think you can do that in other ways than purposely missing a roll.

    But everyone is different and everyone has their own ways to find a solution to a similar problem. Finding something that works for me is what I'm after.

    Its all good fun!

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete