Translate

Monday, August 29, 2011

Mad dogs and Englishmen

A bit of alright

Mad dogs and Englishmen, as the song goes, go out in the midday sun ... I must be a mad dog. For the last week I've been busy spreading topsoil. Yesterday I spread the last of four and a half tandem loads and put the grass seed in for my daughter. Its been sunny and hot, hot hot. Long days. After seven, I felt knackered.

I needed rest. No, I needed some alone time in the boat. I put in just after 7:00 as Jamie and his wife were finishing their paddle. I explained my need and therefore the lateness of my launch.

The sun was setting over Bell Island to port. There was very little wind. A lone seagull flew in the same direction but further out in the bay. I thought to myself, I understand. I wondered if it understood what I was about.

After working like a dog all week the cool ocean breeze made it all seem worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment