Translate

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lessons of wide application

At ease on the seas

I believe the lessons learned of one discipline can be applied to another. For example, I am learning to play the guitar, though picking it up very late. On the surface there doesn't seem to be much in common between kayaking and guitar, but there is.

I recently came upon an article at GuitarNoise entitled "How to practice your musical instrument" I felt was of particular value. One line in it spoke volumes to me. It states "Muscle memory is developed through repetition. An amateur practices until they get it right; a professional practices until they never get it wrong!"

Apply that to rolling. If you learn to roll you don't necessarily have a roll. You only have a roll if you can perform it consistently and in all conditions. Getting it wrong when you're in the soup or in a tight spot can have dire consequences.

You never know where inspiration can come from. Have a read of the full article.

2 comments:

  1. Couldnt agree more. From my profession to kayaking it all boils down to the same. Muscle memory works even when your brain isnt!

    great post and good topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Lee, there's a big difference between "good enough" and as good as possible. I remember Sandy Morris playing guitar on stage once sharing a joke with the bass player all the while not missing a note. I look forward to paddling and playing guitar when its like walking.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete