Translate

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The money pit

Dean sporting his new cag

Kayaking is not a cheap activity. It takes an investment in the order of $3,000 to get outfitted with a used boat, paddle, spraydeck, PFD, drysuit and other safety gear mandated by Transport Canada. No wonder most people I see in boats are middle aged plus.

On top of the basics, there's no end to the list of equipment and supplies that is either recommended or nice to have. For example, a VHF is not required but is recommended. Then as a back up its nice to have a Spot, EPIRB etc etc.

Three of the guys I know have cags now. Its a nice thing to have but at $350 and a GSP on my wish list, I'm wondering if the bottom of the money pit is in sight for me yet.

6 comments:

  1. naah I got a dry suit, don't need a cag.
    The paddling community is getting the jones anyway lol....having said that I went to MEC today and bought a boundary pack......

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cag should make those lunch breaks much more enjoyable, especially on the cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. . . . as would an oversized wind/rain coat. Not sure why a cag needs to fit around the coaming. I'm guessing water would get inside the cag and then get caught by the bungee. A jacket would keep the wind off you while the drysuit keeps the water off you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its hard to know when to draw that line. There's a list of what you really need/should have. which in itself changes depending on who you talk with. I'm sure one can have a fully stocked boat with just the "basic" safety gear. But I like to have a bit of room left for camping gear and beer.
    The cage I agree can have its uses, more so with cold water paddling. A rain coat will probably have the same effect, but might not roll up in the same size package, breath as well, and hold up as long. Will I run out tomorrow and get one? I would if I wanted a divorce! Maybe when I hit the middle age tony talked about, I will get all on my list. Well... by then I may need a file cabnit and a lawyer on the back of the boat as well!
    The point... God I'm jealous of some of the gear I see out there! Is it because of needs, wants, or just really good marketing??

    ReplyDelete
  5. tony, after reading your post I've done some math and I'm not so far from that amount of money: avalanche probe, skis, snowshoes, boots, crampons etc. etc. imho it's worthwhile to spend some money for life, much more better than money for nothing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of good points guys. I bought an oversize jacket at Value Village (used clothing) for $15 and used it one trip with Gerard. It broke the wind and kept me warm while stopped for lunch. Key thing is as Gio says to have the necessary gear to be safe. There's a must have list and a like to have list.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete