Translate

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Paddling buddies

Small rock garden

I remember my first KNL event in 2004, it was the clubs AGM. I knew one person. Everyone else seemed to know each other; there was a sociable feel to the gathering before the start of business.

The next year I paddled with a few of the members and attended presentations at winter events. I gradually got to know more club members. Then, I offered myself for a position on the Board and really got involved.

This past Saturday we had our annual Christmas party. It was very well attended by about 45 people, most of whom I managed to share a few words with. I felt comfortable, as though I was among friends. That's probably not unusual because I see some once or twice a week over long stretches.

I made a wise choice to join the club because I've met not only some great paddling buddies but a great bunch of people that I consider friends.

2 comments:

  1. From time to time, one hears criticism of what KNL isn't doing, its perceived deficiencies. Some such criticism is justified. But, Tony's post makes us recall one thing, among others, that is a strength for KNL: it is a way to connect with others who share an interest in sea kayaking in Newfoundland. By virtue of that alone, KNL is a resounding success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail right on the head Malcolm. There are issues with respect to the meager number of club paddles this year but it takes some of the newly certified paddlers to step forward as others have done in the past.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete