Translate

Friday, December 10, 2010

Heads or tails?

"The" Cape

This is a map of the area between St. John's and Cape Spear. On Wednesday Malcolm and I did a paddle directly from the harbour at St. John's to Cape Spear. Its the second time I've done this paddle with Malcolm.

I've also done it one time with Stan but we paddled down into Freshwater Bay and followed the shoreline.

They are different paddles to the same destination, something like both sides of a coin.

Far from shore

Setting a straight line course for the Cape means open ocean paddling. For me it becomes an inward paddle in the sense that once I'm in tune with the ocean I can establish a rhythm and become lost within myself.

The land is to starboard, as always is the sun (this time of year especially low in the sky) and therefore the light tends to overwhelm the camera. Not ideal for photography.

Spriggs Point

Paddling along the shoreline the route to the Cape has lots of stunning rock formations and cliffs. In this case the paddle is more of an interaction with the environment; a chance to observe and drink it all in.

The Cape in more common big seas

It is better to stand off the Cape in bigger swells because hidden shoals throw up steep seas near the Cape. Sitting out at the Cape in the undulating ocean is a peaceful, tranquil feeling. Part of that feeling may be due to reaching a goal at the end of a paddle in big seas. Its not a destination a lot of people make.

The Cape on a sunny, calm day

There are two ways to get out to the Cape, handrailing along the shoreline or a straight crossing. Its a matter of heads or tails. For me, I'd like to have both options and just keep that coin in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment