Translate

Friday, December 17, 2010

At the pool

Playtime at the pool

I've only been to the pool a couple of times to attend club clinics. There are pool nights on Tuesdays and Saturdays but I haven't attended mainly because I saw it as too much bother.

Two weeks ago I finally gave in because I felt a lack of confidence in my roll. It went well and I went back this past Tuesday. I've developed a "system" to make things a bit less of a bother.

I throw my paddle, PFD and skirt in the cockpit and cover with a cockpit cover. The gear I wear I throw in a knapsack. In one carry I've got the boat with the stuff in the cockpit inside the Aquarena. The first week I forgot a towel; not this week and even brought a snack to eat after getting out of the pool to stave off those hunger pangs.

And, I have the luxury of backing the car with boat into my garage, crawl in bed and put everything away the next day.

Pool sessions are over for this year until January 11th. Now that I've made it convenient for myself I'm looking forward to the next session, four weeks away and I'm impatient. Isn't that always the way?

3 comments:

  1. Tony:

    Who's that cool dude in the background wearing the shades - I wonder? What's even cooler is that he looks like he's paddling with a popsicle stick.

    I too, have a routine for pool nights, i.e., kayaking and not playing billiards!! On the way home I always drop into Marie's Mini-mart and pick up an 8 pack of Keiths in cans. When I get home I try to drag my gear in quietly becuase my wife and kids are long asleep. I then proceed to drape all my wet gear around the house with towels hanging unerneath it to catch the drips. I put my boat back in the basement/heated crawlspace under the house. I always try to have everything tidied away by 11:30. Then settle in and have a few beers while I watch TV or check up on my favorite blogs!!!

    I find that I'm too wound up after getting home to go directly to bed so I need an hour or so to unwind. I usually hit the sack by 12:30 or so. I'm the same with b-ball games that I play later at night. The activity ramps me up and there's no sense in going to bed.

    Oh, and I'm always ravenously hungry after a pool session as well.

    And that's how I spend my Tuesday nights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love warm water and arrange extra sea boat sessions when I can for myself plus any other folks who are keen - I live 500m from the pool, so no excuses for me not turning up.

    Although I come home tired, I need a bit of time to wind down too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, the future is so bright he has to wear shades.

    500 yards from the pool Mackayak, you could use a kayak caddy!

    I have no trouble going to sleep after pool sessions though I must admit to having one glass of wine this past Tuesday.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete