Translate

Monday, November 22, 2010

Time matters

Homer Simpson would say "Doh!"

Time is elusive. Some say time flies. There are situations when time matters, like when trying to take a picture in moving or active water.

Almost two months ago I received an Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 camera in place of a Stylus 850SW under a warranty agreement. I didn't have a choice as the 6020 was closest to the 850SW for replacement purposes. The reviews weren't glowing.

One issue was the length of time it takes from pressing the "ON" button to being able to take the shot. One review indicated as much as 7 seconds. I timed it and that's not far off. Then, once the shutter release button is pressed it may take a second for the camera to actually take the picture and a couple to store it to the memory card. Its not a speed demon.

That mattered to me on Saturday when I wanted to take pictures in the active water. I pressed the shutter release and started to stow the camera (I needed to for safety reasons) before the composed picture was taken. The above picture was the result. Its not an award winner but emphasizes my point.

I'm not saying I don't recommend the camera but some of these what I'd call "shortcomings" have to be taken into account when buying a waterproof camera. Shop around and do the research.

5 comments:

  1. Tony,

    Considering the conditions we paddled in on Saturday, it is good to see that you were able to take any pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad your posting this info up tony. That camera would irritate me beyond belief. I picked up a canon d10 a while back and it is excellent.quick pick, can put on continious. Has big buttons that work well with gloves on.

    Maybe you should bring that camera back buddy. I highly recommend the D10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clyde, in wild and woolly conditions like Saturday I try to take the picture with the bow into the wind and seas. A quicker camera would make it easier all around.

    Lee, I can't take it back because it was a replacement for my 850SW. Its speed is not usually an issue but Saturday I was going to be hit by a wave with a chance of being pushed up on the rocks so I bailed on the shot. I've gotten used to its quirks and I'm otherwise satisfied with it. If and when I buy a new camera I'll probably buy something else.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Stylus Tough 6000. I don't think they still make it. A couple of months ago they were selling off for 169.00 at Costco. I thought mine was slow to startup at 3 seconds but not even close to the time Tony is seeing!! Can you let it go into sleep mode and then just wake it up by hitting the shutter button - I wonder if that would be better then a "cold start" The only problem is I guess your shutter will remain open - although it may shut down as well. Mine is sometimes slow to focus if the object is moving a fair bit or in low light conditions - as to be expected.

    I guess I can't complain as the camera was only about 200.00 but at least I can take it on/under water with no fears!! Nothing worse than missing a good shot, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean, the start-up time varies between 5 - 7 seconds. Sometimes at start-up the "Program mode" displays the options and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, it stays in the Auto mode and its 5 seconds. Another unexplained quirk of the camera.

    These times are a close as I can come to it. I'm not quick enough to get it into tenths of seconds.

    To compensate, I press the power button as I'm taking the camera out so its doing its thing while I'm raising the camera to focus and take the picture.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete