18 hours ago
Monday, May 22, 2017
We awoke Sunday to 4 centimeters of snow on the ground. Its been that kind of spring. But, we were out the previous week so I have those shots in my back pocket for a post on this miserable weekend.
It was overcast with a bit of fog hanging on when we put in at 10:00 with also a bit of ...
... wave action along the shore that ...
... got substantially bigger the further north we paddled.
Still the fog persisted until ...
... just after 11:00 the sun came out to brighten our day and really ...
... turned the dark dreary rocks of earlier into happier shades of grey.
There's nothing we can do about the weather but, if we take the opportunity to charge our batteries on good days, the memory sustains us when its not so nice.
Friday, May 19, 2017
This week Wednesday was Thursday. That is to say, we did Wednesday evening practice on Thursday evening due to a conflict with another club event. Turns out, it may have contributed to a small turnout this week.
This week it was just Brian, Craig and myself. Slim pickings, and not the musical kind.
No matter. I did my first dozen or so rolls in the ocean this year. The water temperature is just above zero, maybe 2 - 3C. I tried to stay upside down for 10 seconds but brain freeze set in at 6 seconds (which Brian measured) before I righted myself. At those temps its really a matter of mental control.
It was Craig's first time so we went through a couple of rescue scenarios. First Brian jumped out of his kayak and talked Craig through a between the kayaks re-entry. Brian was in his Karma RG so that exercise didn't include dumping the water out.
Then my turn to jump in. I turned my kayak upside down and talked Craig through the emptying procedure and got back in.
These Wednesday evening practices are a chance to advance the skills of novice paddlers and to also make sure our own skills have not rusted over the winter. When the need to perform a rescue arises is not the time to learn how to do the rescue. It needs to be rehearsed in controlled conditions so that it becomes second nature and runs smoothly.
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Last October a group of us were in Bull Arm to check out the arrival of the topsides for the Hebron oilfield production platform. The gravity base structure (GBS) was complete and floating in Mosquito Cove. The topsides were on shore waiting to be mated with the GBS.
Now, seven months later the GBS was ready to be towed out to the oilfield and were were back in Bull Arm hoping to see it pass by. However, ice offshore, as shown in the above screen shot from Environment Canada, cancelled the tow out but we went anyway to see the completed GBS.
We all spent a cold night in the tents and the day didn't start off very pleasant either. It was misty, cold and raw. Slowly we got on the go and ...
... left our campsite inside Masters Head and ...
... entered Bull Arm paddling north into a northerly breeze.
Clyde, in the orange, and I donned our cags that made the conditions more tolerable. I didn't anticipate the cold weather and didn't have a second layer of clothes so the cag was a lifesaver so to speak.
We stopped in Stock Cove to do a quick check of the archaeological dig establishing the presence of Paleoeskimo at the site. I spent more time here last October walking about and posted a blog entry with more information on the excavation so I'll just point to that post here.
We got our first view of the GBS in the distance. Mosquito Cove is a restricted construction site. We stopped just before the cove but ...
... slowly paddled and drifted closer and ...
... closer until we saw a launch approaching letting us know we were spotted.
The guys weren't heavy handed but were quite cordial telling us we were in a restricted area. We chatted for a while and before leaving Brian passed his camera over to one of the guys asking him to take a ...
... picture of all of us with the GBS in the background. Left to right we have myself, Gary, Cathy, Roy, Brian, Terry, Clyde, Hazen and Ron.
So, while we were disappointed the tow out didn't happen it was still interesting to see the thing. Especially I think for Cathy, Hazen and myself who were here last year.
Coming as far as we could, we paddled back to the campsite to break camp and then back to Chance Cove to the cars and the drive home.
Thanks to Hazen for doing the planning and organizing.
Tuesday, May 9, 2017
Sometime on May 8th the Hebron oilfield production platform, a gravity base structure (GBS), was tentatively scheduled to be towed out of the construction site in Bull Arm. Seven tugboats were contracted to do the tow out but nine of us decided we had better attend in case they need more towing power.
The plan was to leave from Chance Cove and camp at Masters Head Beach and monitor the situation as to when the tow-out would proceed. On a bright sunny but cool Sunday morning Brian, Cathy, Clyde, Gary, Hazen, Ron, Roy, Terry and I loaded our kayaks on the slipway in Chance Cove.
Loaded down with all the camping essentials we left Chance Cove and ...
... headed northwest along the shore.
The shoreline along here is punctuated by sea stacks of the Bull Arm Formation comprised mainly of andesitic volcanic flows. That is to say, the same composition of the rocks of the Andes Mountains in South America.
Its one of the most picturesque shorelines on the Avalon Peninsula which is hard not to get ...
... enough of.
Near Rantem Harbour we paddle past the last of the sea stacks where a bit of mist hung in the air. We crossed directly over bypassing the harbour and landed on the opposite shore where we examined ...
... the lone bergy bit in the area. This shot is for Brian, Hazen and Terry who made the longer crossing to ...
... the beach just inside of Masters Head. They were soon joined by the rest of us and we all set up camp.
Its not only an army that marches on its stomach. We had to fuel up too for the tow we thought we might have to assist with *lol*.
We all pitched in to collect firewood for the evenings campfire which we knew we'd need as temperatures were expected to drop to near 0C. After we had a good pile of wood stacked up Brian, Cathy, Gary and I followed the start of a moose path up through the trees to climb up to the top of the Head.
Its was a cool breeze (guessing 5C) but the exertion of the climb had us plenty warm. We had a nice view of Trinity Bay from our vantage point some 50 meters above the water. I couldn't resist throwing a few rocks over and watch them kerplunk into the water below.
After ten minutes or so we made our descent picking our way through a mass of dead trees and windfalls.
Just after 7:30 fire chief Terry decided it was time to get the fire going. It was still an hour and a half from darkness but a welcome warmth as the sun began to set loosing the heat it provided.
As night drew on and the cold set in, we began to stand closer to the flames. Warmed by the fire people started to drift away to the tents steeled against the cold that was expected to hit near freezing.
As it turned out, the tow out was cancelled due to ice conditions in the tow path. We would not be needed after all!!! Nevertheless, the next day we planned to paddle down Bull Arm to the construction site at Msquito Cove where the gravity base structure bobbed in the water waiting patiently for the move. More on that later.
Thursday, May 4, 2017
So we're four weeks into our weekly practices at St. Philips and so far there hasn't been much interest. Each evening its only been four people showing up. Last evening it was Brian, Clyde, Dean and myself. Here Brian launches himself into the soup.
Clyde and Dean showed up in their rock hopping short boats. They had a lot of fun but its not so much fun in the long boats. At least not as many opportunities because of the need to pick your spots; a long kayak doesn't turn as nimbly.
Clyde and Dean found a spot riding pour overs. Brian and I had enough and ...
... went for a short paddle to fill the time.
It hasn't been great weather and maybe that has kept some people away. There has been a lot of ice blown in this year and it has kept temperatures down. I expect a late spring as a result and possibly a late surge in participants. But there are a few diehards and we'll be here when they show up.
Sunday, April 23, 2017
I got up this morning and looked outside. We were still getting freezing rain after some 30 hours of it. It weighed down the trees around my home. I wondered whether we'd paddle. Some mailed to ask if a paddle was on. That was the incentive I needed and replied yes.
Cathy, Clyde, Dean and I were up for it. When we arrived at the put-in we were delighted to see some good sized chunks of ice just outside of the harbour. Where I had paddled the last two weeks around one year ice pans, these chunks were pieces of icebergs that had broken off.
They weren't icebergs per se but bergy bits. Outside of this jumble of bergy bits there was only open water so we paddled around them for some time.
Clyde in among the bits and ...
After we had our fill of that and providing photo ops for people standing on the wharf there to sight see, we paddled north to see what other ice was around. There were still a few icicles on the cliffs and the trees above were coated with freezing rain and drizzle.
The bergy bits were the main attraction today but the rocks called to us also.
Then more ice to explore.
Four kilometers on we were stymied by a field of ice pans.
With no way through except the long way around we decided to return.
We passed by some interesting ice sculptures while still ...
... exploring and paddling between the icy bits.
So, it is technically spring but it doesn't feel any different from winter. Cathy lamented the limited opportunities to paddle this past winter but here are still opportunities in the winter like weather. We had fog to start, then it pecked rain, then we had ice pellets and finished the paddle with snow falling.
We all must have enjoyed the day as I didn't hear any complaining as the four of us sat in the nearby restaurant for a well deserved warm-up coffee or tea. Another awesome day spent in the kayak.